Muragachha is the name of a five-hundred years old village. It was named ‘Raghabpur’ in the official document of the then – “NADIA RAJ”. Later it was renamed ‘MURAGACHHA’. During the British period, Debi Das Mukhopadhyay, the dewan of NimakMahal (Salt Store House), was responsible for the structures like Sarvamangala Temple, Gopinath Temple, DurgaMandap of antique gothic structure, NahabatKhana ( Sehnai, etc. playing at an elevated high place), Raas Temple, Sarvamangala Library, etc. These are glorious traditions of this vast locality. His son Jagat Chandra Mukhopadhyay founded the Muragachha – High (now H.S) School in 1858. Since then this institution has been enlightening pupils till date. Muragachha and its adjacent localities like Dharmadah, Bohirgachhi, Sadhan Para etc. are closely linked with the revolutionary freedom struggle. Late GopendranathMukhopadhay (Bada) was a champion of struggling activities covering this locality. This village is blessed with arrivals of DeshbandhuChittaranjan Das, NetajiSubhash Chandra Bose, besides PanditIswar Chandra Vidyasagar. Martyr Basanta Kumar Biswas was a student of the above mentioned school.
People of this locality had always been cherishing to have a college. Now a college has come up bearing the name “Muragachha Government College”. It has been built on the ground of the school stadium, which has been handed over to the Government of West Bengal. The College is almost 2 Kms from Muragachha Railway Station and 1.5 kms away from NH-34. The college campus has a calm and quiet ambience and is communicable by rickshaw/tuktuk/van and bus. One cannot but ignore the contribution of Late GopendraNath Mukherjee (Chota) and Late Panchu Gopal Banerjee behind the setting up of this college. However the present generation is also equally praise worthy.